Due Date, a turf sprint specialist who won two consecutive stakes at Fair Grounds, has been retired from racing for stallion duty at Peach Lane Farms near Opelousas, La.
Prior to May Gator's 1 1/4-length victory on Saturday in Ellis Park's $75,000 Dade Turf Classic, trainer Steve Flint gave jockey Jesus Castanon one ultimatum.
Delaware Oaks (gr. III) winner and Alabama (gr. I) runner-up Allamerican Bertie tuned-up for a run in next weeks' Falls City Handicap (gr. II) with a sharp five furlong work on Wednesday at Churchill Downs.
Allamerican Bertie, ridden by Pat Day, made her turf debut Thursday a winning one, setting the pace and turning back a slight challenge at the top of the stretch for a convincing eight-length victory over Histoire Sainte in the featured $59,500 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Richard Bertram and Elaine Klein's Allamerican Bertie won the Delaware Oaks at Delaware Park by 6 1/4-lengths on Saturday under Larry Melancon.
News and notes from around the industry...
The comeback victory by Richard, Elaine and Bert Klein's De Bertie in Tuesday's feature race probably earned the 4-year-old De Niro filly a spot in the gate for Churchill Downs' $250,000 Falls City Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on Thanksgiving day.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes