Due Date, a turf sprint specialist who won two consecutive stakes at Fair Grounds, has been retired from racing for stallion duty at Peach Lane Farms near Opelousas, La.
Prior to May Gator's 1 1/4-length victory on Saturday in Ellis Park's $75,000 Dade Turf Classic, trainer Steve Flint gave jockey Jesus Castanon one ultimatum.
Delaware Oaks (gr. III) winner and Alabama (gr. I) runner-up Allamerican Bertie tuned-up for a run in next weeks' Falls City Handicap (gr. II) with a sharp five furlong work on Wednesday at Churchill Downs.
Allamerican Bertie, ridden by Pat Day, made her turf debut Thursday a winning one, setting the pace and turning back a slight challenge at the top of the stretch for a convincing eight-length victory over Histoire Sainte in the featured $59,500 allowance race for fillies and mares at Churchill Downs.
Richard Bertram and Elaine Klein's Allamerican Bertie won the Delaware Oaks at Delaware Park by 6 1/4-lengths on Saturday under Larry Melancon.
News and notes from around the industry...
The comeback victory by Richard, Elaine and Bert Klein's De Bertie in Tuesday's feature race probably earned the 4-year-old De Niro filly a spot in the gate for Churchill Downs' $250,000 Falls City Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on Thanksgiving day.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Portion of Vinceremos' Earnings to Charity
- Riposte Heads Solid Hillsborough Field
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones