The Kentucky Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders has named Havre de Grace the 2011 Horse of the Year and champion older female.
Bentley Smith, manager of Frances A. Genter Stable for some 30 years, died Saturday, Oct. 22, at age 88 in Palm Beach, Fla.
Bentley Smith's homebred Lady Carlock may have a small edge in the $100,000 Very One Stakes (gr. IIIT) Feb. 22 at Gulfstream Park based on her victory in the Suwannee River (gr. IIIT) three weeks ago, but the wide-open turf event for fillies and mares is anyone's for the taking.
Lady Carlock, charging from off the pace for jockey Jermaine Bridgmohan, overtook Mushka in the final strides to record her first stakes victory by a head in the $125,000 Suwannee River (gr. IIIT) on the Gulfstream Park turf Feb. 1.
- By Claire Novak
Bentley Smith is well-connected when it comes to Breeders' Cup horses. As the son-in-law of the late Frances Genter, he managed Frances Genter Stable for nearly 30 years and sent Smile to a 1986 Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) victory and, of course, watched Unbridled win the Classic (gr. I) in 1990.
James Tafel's Street Sense, winner of this year's Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), tuned up for a run in the Sept. 29 Kentucky Cup Classic (gr. II) at Turfway Park with a five furlong work Sept. 25 at Churchill Downs.
The surging Thoroughbred market continued to generate impressive figures Tuesday during the second session of Keeneland's January sale in Lexington.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Eased as Moreno Wins CT Classic
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- One Lucky Dane Off Derby Trail After Workout
- Queen of The Sand Rebounds in Santa Barbara
- Whiskey Ticket Wins IL Derby Like a Pro
- Hootenanny Successful in Season Debut
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- Bodhisattva Gets Classic Credential in Tesio
- Dortmund Records Bullet Work at Santa Anita
- Taketheodds, Russell Road Win at Charles Town