Benjamin Hutzel's homebred colt Passion for Action rallied from off the pace in a six-horse field to win the $173,777 Highlander Stakes (Can-IIT) July 3 at Woodbine for his third stakes win in four starts this year.
Stacked Deck and Passion for Action will renew their intriguing and relatively new rivalry June 5 in the $200,000 Connaught Cup (Can-IIT), but the race provides a different aspect.
Already a two-time stakes winner on the Polytrack at Woodbine, filly Brooklynsway will try to pick up a third stakes score over the track Nov. 29 when she faces males for the first time in the $250,000 Coronation Futurity.
Favored Passion for Action, making his stakes debut, kicked clear in the drive for an impressive 3 1/4-length win in the $223,966 Cup and Saucer Stakes for 2-year-old Canadian-breds on the Woodbine turf Oct. 12.
Nikkis Smartypants showed her resiliency when re-breaking in the stretch to draw away for an upset victory in the $150,000 Royal North Stakes (Can-III) on the turf July 28 at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal
- Look Back: Master Derby Wins Louisiana Derby
- Hong Kong Stars to Battle on Sunday at Sha Tin
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes