In his first start in more than 10 months, Strike a Deal wired the field for jockey Ramon Dominguez in the $200,000 Dixie Stakes (gr. IIT), registering a bit of larceny in the race preceding the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
The 45-1 outsider Trusty Temper, ridden by Justin Shepherd, shook off favored Saarlight in early stretch and repulsed a strong challenge mid-stretch to win the $200,000 Jostle Stakes by 2 1/2 lengths at Philadelphia Park June 13.
Jayeff B Stables' Strike a Deal, who had been winless for nearly 18 months, finally tasted victory Nov. 8, as the 4-year-old colt stayed close to the pace, struck the front in upper stretch, and pulled away for a resounding seven-length victory in the $150,000 Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) on a rainy afternoon at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Paulassilverlining Shows Her Mettle in Honorable Miss
- Jockey Flores Plans to Retire From Riding
- Drefong Set for 2017 Debut in Bing Crosby
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing Head Jim Dandy
- A. P. Indian Seeks Repeat in G1 Vanderbilt
- Cool Catomine Rolls Late in Prince of Wales Upset
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- TCA Appoints Five New Directors
- Massachusetts Lawmakers Extend Racing, Simulcasting