Elisabeth Jerkens, a longtime Thoroughbred owner and breeder and wife of Hall of Fame trainer H. Allen Jerkens since 1987, died the morning of Aug. 3 in South Florida at the age of 86.
Thomas McClay's and Harry Nye's Control System remained unbeaten in three starts and became a graded stakes winner Saturday at Aqueduct, overtaking front-running Golden Dreamer and going on to a 3 1/2-length victory in the $109,600 Cicada (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at six furlongs.
Other than different post positions, handicappers will find little change in Saturday's $100,000-added Cicada (gr. III) at Aqueduct, which was rescheduled from last Saturday.
Stewart Armstrong's Five Star Daydream is at the front of the line of horses trickling up from Florida to return to their New York base for the rest of the year. In Saturday's 15th running of the $100,000 Cicada Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at six furlongs at Aqueduct, the Five Star Day filly will try for her fourth career victory against a quick group of contenders.
Dogwood Stable and trainer Todd Pletcher will be looking to get a fast start at the 138th Saratoga season when they send out Cotton Blossom in the $100,000-added Schuylerville (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies at six furlongs on Wednesday's opening day at the Spa.
Most Popular Stories
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Marialite Upsets Favorites at Hanshin
- Sheer Drama On Fence for 'Summit of Speed'
- Minding Coasts Clear in Pretty Polly
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Lord Nelson Lunges to Triple Bend Score
- Un Autre First Winner for I'll Have Another
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup