Elisabeth Jerkens, a longtime Thoroughbred owner and breeder and wife of Hall of Fame trainer H. Allen Jerkens since 1987, died the morning of Aug. 3 in South Florida at the age of 86.
Thomas McClay's and Harry Nye's Control System remained unbeaten in three starts and became a graded stakes winner Saturday at Aqueduct, overtaking front-running Golden Dreamer and going on to a 3 1/2-length victory in the $109,600 Cicada (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at six furlongs.
Other than different post positions, handicappers will find little change in Saturday's $100,000-added Cicada (gr. III) at Aqueduct, which was rescheduled from last Saturday.
Stewart Armstrong's Five Star Daydream is at the front of the line of horses trickling up from Florida to return to their New York base for the rest of the year. In Saturday's 15th running of the $100,000 Cicada Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at six furlongs at Aqueduct, the Five Star Day filly will try for her fourth career victory against a quick group of contenders.
Dogwood Stable and trainer Todd Pletcher will be looking to get a fast start at the 138th Saratoga season when they send out Cotton Blossom in the $100,000-added Schuylerville (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies at six furlongs on Wednesday's opening day at the Spa.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic
- Roca Rojo Closes for Athenia Victory
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- Seven-Time Group I Winner Buffering Retired
- Elektrum Surges at Wire to Win Dowager
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Gainesway Colts Among Hips to Watch