Eclipse Award-winning sprinter Big Drama, south Florida riding stalwart Eduardo Nunez, and top-five, all-time Calder trainer Dan Hurtak were among the nine new members elected to the Calder Hall of Fame.
Bea Oxenberg's Hey Byrn kept his Kentucky Derby hopes alive with a workmanlike 2 1/4-length win in the slowly run $150,000 Holy Bull Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park April 12.
Bea Oxenberg's 3-year-old Hey Byrn reaffirmed his credentials as a potential Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) contender March 2 at Gulfstream Park when he drew off to win a 1 1/8-mile allowance race by six lengths under jockey Edgar Prado.
Grade I winner Songandaprayer came through with his first winner when his daughter Stolen Prayer won April 26 by 15 lengths at Calder Race Course.
Bea Oxenberg and Laurie Plesa's B. B. Best, third in Gulfstream's March 5 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) and one of the leading candidates for Gulfstream's $1 million Florida Derby (gr. I) April 2, will probably get one last work March 26 in preparation for the showcase event of the season one week later.
Millionaire Best of the Rest is scheduled to arrive Jan. 16 at Michael Sherman's Farnsworth Farms near Ocala, Fla., where he will begin his stallion career for breeder/owner Bea Oxenberg.
Popular Florida millionaire Best of the Rest, who is experiencing his best season this year at age eight, will enter stud at Michael Sherman's Farnsworth Farms near Ocala, Fla.
The venerable 8-year-old horse Best of the Rest provided a fitting ending to the second annual Florida Million Saturday at Calder Race Course with a gritty victory in the $200,000 Carl G. Rose Classic for the second straight year.
Bea Oxenberg's Best of the Rest notched his third consecutive stakes victory in Monday's $100,000 Memorial Day Handicap (gr. III) at Calder Racecourse.
Most Popular Stories
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Hips to Watch: Day 1 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Soul Stirring Frankel's First Classic Winner
- Preakness Wrapup: Clouds Got in the Way
- La Coronel Prepares for Royal Ascot Run
- Actress Announces Presence in Black-Eyed Susan
- Grizzel Edges Enstone in Selene Stakes