Average and median fall but last year's dispersals made the difference.
Outsider Cee's Irish and odds-on favorite Miss Loren captured Santa Anita's twin $75,000 feature races Friday, the Blue Norther Stakes and the Paseana Handicap, respectively.
Scrofa, in her fourth start since being claimed for $62,500, posted a convincing victory in the $100,000 Work The Crowd Handicap for California-bred fillies and mares at Golden Gate Fields Sunday.
Gonetorule blew by pacesetter A B Noodle in midstretch and went on to post a four-length victory in the $58,175 Santa Clara Handicap at Bay Meadows Saturday.
Megahertz will carry greater weight and greater expectations than her five rivals as a clear standout in Saturday's $200,000 Santa Barbara Handicap (gr. IIT), a 1 ¼-mile contest for older fillies and mares.
Valentine Dancer, winner of the $500,000 Sunshine Millions Filly and Mare Turf Jan. 24, and Victory Encounter, who captured the El Encino (gr. II) a week earlier, head the field for Saturday's $200,000 La Canada Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Elloluv, second to 40-1 outsider Adoration in the Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park on Oct. 25, "is geared up and ready to go" for Saturday's $250,000 La Brea Stakes (gr. I), first leg of the three-race La Canada Series won last season by Got Koko.
Headed by San Clemente Handicap winner Katdogawn and multiple stakes winner Atlantic Ocean, a field of at least eight appears likely for Sunday's 47th edition of the grade I, $300,000 Del Mar Oaks.
Golden Eagle Farm stallions sired three of Saturday's 10 California Gold Rush winners at Hollywood Park, including Chief Planner, who captured the featured $250,000 Snow Chief for 3-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Canadian Horse Racing Plans Anniversary 250 Celebration
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work
- Pierce Trains Tampa String for Sam-Son, Pin Oak
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- CHRB Approves Medication-Based Conditions
- Finger Lakes Racing Dates Could Plummet Under Proposal