Florida invader Stately Victor returns to the lawn for the first time since last summer when he takes on eight rivals in the $200,000 John B. Connally Turf Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Sam Houston Race Park Jan. 29.
Giuseppe Iadisernia's Delosvientos. will try to become the first horse since Waquoit in 1987-88 to win back-to-back runnings of the grade II, $200,000 Brooklyn Handicap at 1 1/2 miles at Belmont Park June 5.
Al Fried Jr.'s homebred Giant Moon, a New York-bred with a second and a first in state-bred stakes in his previous two starts, wore down Cool Coal Man to post a game victory in the April 4 Excelsior Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct.
It's been three up and three down this year at Aqueduct for Barrier Reef headed into Saturday's Excelsior Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at the New York track.
Uptown Racing's Boss Lafitte used a rail-skimming trip under Robby Albarado and took over in upper stretch to win by a half-length in the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania Stakes on a rainy opening day April 4 at Keeneland.
Prussian will face eight rivals April 4 when he makes his 2008 debut in the $150,000 Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds, the opening day feature of the 16-day spring meet at Keeneland.
Trainer Tom Albertrani may have a promising 3-year-old on the Derby trail for Darley Stable-or so it would seem after the $109,000 Whirlaway Stakes. Going 1 1/16-miles over Aqueduct's inner track, Darley's Barrier Reef battled it down to the wire with a tenacious Roman Emperor and eked out a determined half-length win Feb. 2.
Giant Moon kept his undefeated record intact by winning the $81,525 Count Fleet Stakes by a neck over Spanky Fischbein at Aqueduct Jan. 5.
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Quiet Business Wins Bewitch on Keeneland's Closing Day
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work