Reigning Illinois Horse of the Year Summer Mis and top 2003 3-year-old runner Wiggins will both compete on Illinois Champions Day at Hawthorne on Saturday.
The Phil Georgeff Illinois Festival of Racing returns to Hawthorne Saturday with six $100,000 stakes events scheduled to help determine the Illinois champions for 2003. Julie's Prize, Wiggins, Summer Mis and Out of My Way are among the leading runners competing.
Frank C. Calabrese's Fight for Ally, seeking his sixth straight win, carries top impost of 117 pounds for Saturday's $100,000 Black Tie Affair Handicap at Arlington Park.
Classic Appeal stole the show Saturday at Hawthorne, winning the Chicagoland Handicap as part of a six-race stakes series each worth $100,000. Gumbo Love is the sire Jambalaya Jazz's first stakes winner in the Violet.
Most Popular Stories
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Ancient Secret Scores in Lake George
- After 35 Years, Jockey Joe Steiner Retires
- Sweet Loretta Powers to Schuylerville Win
- McCarthy, Trainer of General Quarters, Dies
- Songbird Logs First Gallop at Saratoga
- Songbird Adds Star Power to Sunday's CCA Oaks