The Usual Q. T., on a six-race winning streak on grass, will stay home for the $500,000 Sunshine Millions Classic, even though it means switching to Santa Anita's Pro-Ride main track Jan. 30.
Racing in graded stakes company for the first time since disappointing in the Gotham (gr. III) this spring, Haynesfield looked like a completely different 3-year-old this time around, as he took over approaching the quarter-pole and easily repelled odds-on favorite Gone Astray to win the $103,500 Discovery Handicap (gr. III) by 4 1/2 lengths Nov. 21 at Aqueduct.
Trainer Steve Asmussen now believes Haynesfield is ready for another try against graded company, and has entered him in the $100,000-added Discovery Handicap (gr. III) for 3-year-olds going nine furlongs at Aqueduct. A field of six was drawn for the program feature.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- A Look Back: Miesque's Second Mile Victory
- Beholder, 'Lord' Likely to Retire After BC
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options
- Drosselmeyer to Remain in Brazil
- Bernardini Rules Fasig-Tipton Final Session
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Noble Bird Heads Field of Eight in Fayette