Coming in off a dismal effort in the Oka Sho (Jpn-I, Japanese One Thousand Guineas) last month, lightly regarded Meisho Mambo emphatically rebounded to win the Yushun Himba (Jpn-I, Japanese Oaks) May 19 at Tokyo Racecourse.
Ayusan dug in gamely to repel a strong late bid from Red Opal and capture the $2,311,000 Oka Sho (Jpn-I), or Japanese One Thousand Guineas, the first jewel in Japan's Triple Crown for fillies April 7 at Hanshin Racecourse.
The Hanshin Juvenile Fillies (Jpn-I) drew a full field of 18 headed by stakes winners Collector Item and Sound Rihanna, who will square off in Japan's championship race for the division Dec. 9.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer Jones Continues to Recover From Fall
- Easter Filly for Horse of the Year Zenyatta
- Champion Filly Beholder Coasts in 2014 Debut
- Santa Anita Winter Meet Handle Up 4%
- After the Wire: Top 5 Derby Prep Races
- Bejarano Takes Santa Anita Jockey Title
- Wildcat Red, With Saez, Works at Gulfstream
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Determined Isla Bonita Wins Japanese Guineas