Voters in Revere, Mass., overwhelmingly backed Suffolk Downs and gaming partner Mohegan Sun in their plan to develop a world-class destination resort casino on the grounds of the 79-year-old track.
Suffolk Downs Oct. 24 released details of a $40 million "racing improvement plan" tied to its bid for a destination casino license. Officials held a press conference at Indian Rock Stables, a Thoroughbred breeding farm.
Horse racing will receive a share of gaming revenue from the casinos that will be built in Massachusetts, but during an Oct. 16 forum on the industry, stakeholders asked a question: What good is the money without racetracks?
The 2013 live racing season at Suffolk Downs will begin Saturday, June 1 and continue through Nov. 2, the track announced May 21 as it introduced its initial racing schedule and other plans for the upcoming season.
Suffolk Downs will open for its 2012 live racing season June 2 and the horsemen and track management are expressing a new sense of optimism since the legalization of expanded gambling in Massachusetts last fall.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Daily Updates
- Day By Day
- Curlin, Bernardini Colts Top OBS Spring Sale
- Who Will Win the Derby Trial?
- Baffert Duo Has Derby Trial as Backup Plan
- Itsmyluckyday Heads Best of the Rest Stakes
- Bourbon Lane Launches Pasture at Old Friends
- Spring in the Air Back to Sprint in Whimsical
- Genting Americas Bids for NY Casino License
- Cooler Temperatures Forecast for Derby Week