Stall 40 at Pimlico, usually reserved for the Kentucky Derby winner, is instead occupied by New York-bred Zetterholm, who comes into the Preakness with as little fanfare as any starter in the 11-horse field.
A municipal bond trader by day, Tony Grey knows a thing or two about playing percentages. The Florida-based breeder/owner will take a calculated risk May 19 with his Zetterholm in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I).
Franny Freud, a top 3-year-old filly and 5-2 morning-line favorite for the Aug. 7 Test Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course, will miss the race with a career-ending ligament injury.
Odds-on choice Franny Freud, ridden by Garrett Gomez, rallied four wide on the turn to register her first grade I victory in the Prioress Stakes at Belmont Park July 4.
Looking every bit the 1-2 favorite she was, Franny Freud cruised to a front-running 4 3/4-length win in the $150,000 Beaumont Stakes (gr. II) for her first graded stakes win April 7 at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- Boban Prevails in Spirited Memsie Finish
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Badilla Earns Emotional Win at Golden Gate
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- Shadwell Sire Bahri Pensioned in England
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired