Trainer Tom Albertrani did a masterful job getting Godolphin's Anjaz ready to roll off more than a seven-month gap between races, and the daughter of Street Cry finally got her first U.S. victory.
Distance-loving Inimitable Romanee aims for her third graded stakes win in a row when she takes on eight other older filly and mare rivals in the $150,000 Orchid Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the grass March 29 at Gulfstream Park.
The daughter of Street Cry returns in the 1 3/8-mile turf race for the first time since finishing second to Quschi in the 1 1/2-mile Waya Stakes Aug. 5 at Saratoga Race Course.
Jockey Javier Castellano won six races at Aqueduct Racetrack Nov. 9, but missed what he thought was going to be his best mount of the day when Anjaz was scratched from the featured Long Island Handicap (gr. IIIT).
The beautifully bred filly Anjaz has an excellent shot at her first graded win when she challenges seven female opponents in the $200,000 Long Island Handicap (gr. IIIT) Nov. 9 on the turf at Aqueduct Racetrack.
- By Frank Angst
Evan Hammonds and Frank Angst handicap the New York Stakes and Iowa Derby this weekend. watch video
A seasoned field of older females, highlighted by dual grade I winner Lady of Shamrock, are poised and ready for the June 29 New York Stakes (gr. IIT) at Belmont Park.
A ground-saving trip made the difference for Richard Santulli's Tannery in the $200,000 Sheepshead Bay Stakes (gr. IIT) at Belmont Park on May 25, when the 10-1 shot earned her first North American victory by a length.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Jaramillo Named to Ride Majesto in Derby
- Suddenbreakingnews to Have New Look in Derby
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Adventist 'Ready' if Derby Spot Opens Up
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning