Heavily favored Rich in Spirit, ridden by Mark Guidry, wore down the pace-setting Cape Hope in the stretch and drew away to a 1 ½-length victory in Saturday's $165,450 Locust Grove Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the turf at Churchill Downs.
Glen Hill Farm's homebred Rich in Spirit, runner-up in the recent Early Times Mint Julep (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs and a winner of nearly $400,000 on the turf, takes on seven rivals in $150,000-added Locust Grove Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill turf Saturday.
My Typhoon, a $2.9 million weanling purchase who won the Mrs. Revere (gr. II) over the Churchill Downs turf last fall, returns to the course as the 5-2 morning line favorite for the $100,000-added Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. III) Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Phipps, Gaines, Winn Named 2017 Pillars of the Turf
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Laurel Stakes Schedule Features $1.6 Million in Purses
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million
- Agent O'Neill Bullish on Stallion Orb
- Phipps Family to Receive Inaugural Dinny Phipps Award
- McCraken Back on Work Tab After Derby Disappointment
- Thunder Snow, Churchill Face Off in Irish 2,000 Guineas
- What's Going On Here: The Pay Off