Heavily favored Rich in Spirit, ridden by Mark Guidry, wore down the pace-setting Cape Hope in the stretch and drew away to a 1 ½-length victory in Saturday's $165,450 Locust Grove Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the turf at Churchill Downs.
Glen Hill Farm's homebred Rich in Spirit, runner-up in the recent Early Times Mint Julep (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs and a winner of nearly $400,000 on the turf, takes on seven rivals in $150,000-added Locust Grove Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill turf Saturday.
My Typhoon, a $2.9 million weanling purchase who won the Mrs. Revere (gr. II) over the Churchill Downs turf last fall, returns to the course as the 5-2 morning line favorite for the $100,000-added Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. III) Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York
- Too Early to Gauge 'Brexit' Effect on Sales