Heavily favored Rich in Spirit, ridden by Mark Guidry, wore down the pace-setting Cape Hope in the stretch and drew away to a 1 ½-length victory in Saturday's $165,450 Locust Grove Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the turf at Churchill Downs.
Glen Hill Farm's homebred Rich in Spirit, runner-up in the recent Early Times Mint Julep (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs and a winner of nearly $400,000 on the turf, takes on seven rivals in $150,000-added Locust Grove Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill turf Saturday.
My Typhoon, a $2.9 million weanling purchase who won the Mrs. Revere (gr. II) over the Churchill Downs turf last fall, returns to the course as the 5-2 morning line favorite for the $100,000-added Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. III) Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Bal a Bali Vying for U.S. Score in American
- Pletcher Considers Preakness Stakes Options
- Princess Violet Tops Ruffian Stakes Entrants
- KHRC Vote on Salix Threshold Triggers Debate
- Unspurned Seeks Repeat Performance in Hendrie
- Beholder, Warren's Veneda Face Off in Vanity
- Wolf Man Rocket Ships in for Peter Pan Stakes
- NYRA to Cap Belmont Attendance at 90,000
- MarketWatch: Jamie Hill on Sires, Pinhooking
- Hardest Core in Man o' War vs. Imagining