The Fugue easily handled a stellar field in the Prince of Wales's Stakes (Eng-I) June 18 at Royal Ascot, winning in record time over Magician, while European Horse of the Year and heavy favorite Treve struggled in for third.
Strong demand was a consistent theme throughout Book 2 of the Tattersalls October yearling sale, which closed Oct. 17 in Newmarket with record total revenue for the third consecutive year.
After hotly contested bidding the two previous days pushed prized pedigrees to record prices, including a world record, Tattersalls enjoyed European records in key financials when its elite Book 1 sale closed Oct. 10.
Andrew Lloyd Webber's 4-year-old filly The Fugue shook off favorite Al Kazeem in the straight and comfortably won the Red Mills Irish Champion Stakes (Ire-I) Sept. 7 at Leopardstown.
The Fugue swept past front-runner Venus de Milo more than a furlong out and cruised clear to victory Aug. 22 in the Darley Yorkshire Oaks (Eng-I), halting a four-race winless skid.
Benefiting from a perfectly timed ride by Richard Hughes, The Fugue charged past longtime leader Timepiece in the final yards to win the Markel Insurance Nassau Stakes (Eng-I) by a length at Glorious Goodwood Aug. 4.
French Classic winner Stacelita kept her unbeaten record intact with a controversial victory over Dar Re Mi in the Qatar Prix Vermeille (Fr-I) at Longchamp Sept. 13.
Benefiting from a strong ride by Jimmy Fortune, Dar Re Mi took command within the final furlong and easily held off heavily favored Sariska to win the Darley Yorkshire Oaks (Eng-I) Aug. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- 95% Clearance Rate on Day 2 at Tattersalls
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- Boston and Suffolk Downs Begin Planning
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20