Total purses for The Claiming Crown of 2013 are expected to reach $1 million and the program expanded to eight races. The program will likely be run for a second year in a row at Gulfstream Park.
Tampa Bay Downs will kick off its 91-day meet Dec. 11, with the Tampa Bay Derby highlighting the Oldsmar, Fla. racetrack's 85th season. Twenty-five stakes will be run for an approximate total of $2.5 million in purses.
The $65,000 Lightning City Stakes, a five furlong turf test for fillies and mares, tops opening day of the 2008-2009 Tampa Bay Downs racing meet, which begins Dec. 13 and runs through May 3. The Tampa Bay stakes schedule encompasses 26 races with more than $2.7 million in purses and is highlighted by the $300,000 Tampa Bay Derby (gr. III) on March 14.
The 82nd season of Tampa Bay Downs racing will feature record increases for both its stakes schedule and daily average purses, it was announced Sept. 20.
Keeneland Association announced Tuesday that Ben Huffman has been appointed racing secretary.
Most Popular Stories
- Winning Crown Connections Feel It's Time
- Keen Ice Breezes Nicely; 'Pharoah' Walks
- American Pharoah Impressive in Workout
- Brown Sends Two West For American Oaks
- 2-Year-Olds Prep for Barretts Del Mar Sale
- WGOH: Restoring, Not Expanding
- War Story to Skip Belmont, Head to Ohio Derby
- Untapable Works Toward Ogden Phipps Stakes
- American Pharoah 'Went Great' in Slop at CD
- NBC Sports Commentators on 'Night School'