The Downs at Albuquerque recorded increases in handle and purses during its Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse spring meet at the New Mexico track, which ended June 18.
Concluding its 10th season, Zia Park reported record all-sources handle of $536,316 for the 56-day meeting that ended Dec. 2.
Favored That's Who prevailed in the $192,720 Rocky Gulch New Mexico Classic Championship, giving trainer Joel Marr and jockey Alfredo Juarez Jr. four wins apiece on the rich program for state-breds Oct. 26 at Zia Park.
New Mexico-based jockey Alfredo Juarez Jr. secured the 2,000th victory of his career Sunday, Sept. 22 at Zia Park when he guided Chuchuluco to a front-running victory in the eighth race.
Last out claimer First Strike kept Thirtyfirststreet at bay in the stretch to score the $150,000 Zia Park Derby Dec. 3.
Poni Colada remained unbeaten in New Mexico with an eight-length laugher in the $100,000 Borderland Derby for 3-year-olds at Sunland Park Racetrack and Casino on Feb. 16.
Trial by Jury rallied late in the stretch to nail 1-2 favorite New Export by a neck in Saturday's $200,000 Dallas Turf Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Jockey Alfredo Juarez Jr. suffered an undetermined injury to his right foot and abrasions and bruises to his right shoulder after being thrown to the Arlington Park turf course when his mount, Naskramoon, broke down in the vicinity of the sixteenth pole in the fifth race Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Look Back: Master Derby Wins Louisiana Derby
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- International Star Could Add to Fair Grounds Success