The Pamplemousse, who was a major player on the 2009 Triple Crown trail before being injured, started jogging earlier this month and will begin galloping in July, his trainer Julio Canani said June 17.
Trainer Julio Canani insists he doesn't have Derby fever yet. But after the way his The Pamplemousse glided to victory as the 1-2 choice in the $200,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita Feb. 28, that's going to be more difficult to believe as time marches on toward the first Saturday in May.
Most Popular Stories
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice