The Pamplemousse, who was a major player on the 2009 Triple Crown trail before being injured, started jogging earlier this month and will begin galloping in July, his trainer Julio Canani said June 17.
Trainer Julio Canani insists he doesn't have Derby fever yet. But after the way his The Pamplemousse glided to victory as the 1-2 choice in the $200,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita Feb. 28, that's going to be more difficult to believe as time marches on toward the first Saturday in May.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- McCraken, Gunnevera Top Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Fasig-Tipton Adds New Sale Aimed at Turf Prospects
- Rowand Shared His Experiences Owning, Breeding Horses