Grade II winner Air Commander sired his first stakes winner when his daughter Rah Rah Rachel won the Oklahoma Stallion Fillies Stakes at Remington Park.
The first two foals by grade II winner Air Commander are fillies foaled Feb. 16 and bred by Center Hills Farm.
Grade II winner Air Commander will enter stud at Dr. Warren Center's Mighty Acres near Pryor, Okla.
Fourteen horses, potentially matching the largest field in the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) in a quarter century, are headed for the $1 million event March 1 in a race that redefines "wide open."
Chances are Air Commander, who won the San Fernando Stakes (gr. II) by a nose at odds of 52-1 three weeks ago, won't slip under the radar again in the $300,000 Strub Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 2 on the Santa Anita Cushion Track.
Comebacking Air Commander shocked his San Fernando (gr. II) rivals at odds of 52-1 when he nosed Johnny Eves in a terrific stretch duel at Santa Anita Jan. 12.
Cobalt Blue could be entertainer Merv Griffin's first Kentucky Derby starter after the inexperienced colt went gate to wire for a sharp two-length win in the $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Saturday.
Show business entrepreneur Merv Griffin, whose Derby hopes were dashed last year, and trainer Bob Baffert, a fixture on the Triple Crown trail since 1996, each reach the crossroads of their aspirations this year in Saturday's $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Mshawish Tops Taylor Made Roster, For Now
- Orb Colt Tops Fasig-Tipton Second Session
- Handy Work at Remington for Texas Chrome
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Twilight Son to Cheveley Park in 2017
- No Raise for NYRA Discretionary Spending
- Malibu Moon, Tapit Colts Could Shine at F-T
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic