Grade II winner Air Commander sired his first stakes winner when his daughter Rah Rah Rachel won the Oklahoma Stallion Fillies Stakes at Remington Park.
The first two foals by grade II winner Air Commander are fillies foaled Feb. 16 and bred by Center Hills Farm.
Grade II winner Air Commander will enter stud at Dr. Warren Center's Mighty Acres near Pryor, Okla.
Fourteen horses, potentially matching the largest field in the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) in a quarter century, are headed for the $1 million event March 1 in a race that redefines "wide open."
Chances are Air Commander, who won the San Fernando Stakes (gr. II) by a nose at odds of 52-1 three weeks ago, won't slip under the radar again in the $300,000 Strub Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 2 on the Santa Anita Cushion Track.
Comebacking Air Commander shocked his San Fernando (gr. II) rivals at odds of 52-1 when he nosed Johnny Eves in a terrific stretch duel at Santa Anita Jan. 12.
Cobalt Blue could be entertainer Merv Griffin's first Kentucky Derby starter after the inexperienced colt went gate to wire for a sharp two-length win in the $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Santa Anita Saturday.
Show business entrepreneur Merv Griffin, whose Derby hopes were dashed last year, and trainer Bob Baffert, a fixture on the Triple Crown trail since 1996, each reach the crossroads of their aspirations this year in Saturday's $250,000 San Felipe Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Bolo Back Home at Santa Anita for Thunder Road
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Speedway Stable Strikes Late for Malibu Moon Filly
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired