G. Watts Humphrey's undefeated filly One Caroline shoots for her fifth win in as many starts when she takes on six fillies and mares in the $150,000 Rampart Stakes (gr. II) March 29 at Gulfstream Park.
River Ridge Ranch's Maren's Meadow, dismissed at odds of 11-1 in a field of five 3-year-old fillies, broke on top and never trailed, pulling away in the stretch to win the $150,000 Monmouth Oaks (gr. III) by 4 1/2 lengths Aug. 9.
When last seen, J. Mack Robinson's homebred African Violet was dueling in the stretch with Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Proud Spell in the July 12 Delaware Oaks (gr. II). Although coming up three-quarters of a length short that day, the daughter of Lemon Drop Kid proved she can run with the best 3-year-old fillies in the nation.
Prohibitive favorite Proud Spell bounced back from a rough trip in the Mother Goose (gr. I) just two weeks ago to win the $500,000 Delaware Oaks (gr. I) in determined fashion July 12.
A field of seven, headlined by graded stakes winners Country Star and Proud Spell, will take to the gate for the Ashland Stakes (gr. I) April 5 at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate
- Willcox Inn Suffers Fatal Paddock Accident
- Winning Crown Connections Feel It's Time
- Wise Dan Cleared to Resume Galloping
- American Pharoah Impressive in Workout
- NY Bill Could End Exercise Riders' Insurance
- Keen Ice Breezes Nicely; 'Pharoah' Walks
- Moreno Seeks First SoCal Win in Californian
- Brown Sends Two West for American Oaks
- BC Sprint Winner Work All Week Returns at CD