G. Watts Humphrey's undefeated filly One Caroline shoots for her fifth win in as many starts when she takes on six fillies and mares in the $150,000 Rampart Stakes (gr. II) March 29 at Gulfstream Park.
River Ridge Ranch's Maren's Meadow, dismissed at odds of 11-1 in a field of five 3-year-old fillies, broke on top and never trailed, pulling away in the stretch to win the $150,000 Monmouth Oaks (gr. III) by 4 1/2 lengths Aug. 9.
When last seen, J. Mack Robinson's homebred African Violet was dueling in the stretch with Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) winner Proud Spell in the July 12 Delaware Oaks (gr. II). Although coming up three-quarters of a length short that day, the daughter of Lemon Drop Kid proved she can run with the best 3-year-old fillies in the nation.
Prohibitive favorite Proud Spell bounced back from a rough trip in the Mother Goose (gr. I) just two weeks ago to win the $500,000 Delaware Oaks (gr. I) in determined fashion July 12.
A field of seven, headlined by graded stakes winners Country Star and Proud Spell, will take to the gate for the Ashland Stakes (gr. I) April 5 at Keeneland.
Most Popular Stories
- Unique Bella Sidelined Due to Shin Issue
- Classic Empire to Arkansas Derby After Impressive Work
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 28, 2017
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Tapit Colt Tops Barretts Hips to Watch
- Arrogate and How We Define Greatness
- Fasig-Tipton Adds New Sale Aimed at Turf Prospects
- NYRA Privatization Stalls During NY Budget Wrangling
- Belinda Stronach Keynote Speaker at Pan Am Conference