Multiple grade III stakes winner Swift Warrior has been retired to stud at David Spears Racing near Hartshorne, Okla.
Jockey Garrett Gomez boldly announced his return to action with a come-from-behind victory aboard 8-1 shot Dice Flavor in a dramatic finish to the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIT) on the grass Aug. 10 at Del Mar.
by John P. Sparkman
Feb. 16 the 18-year-old Afleet mare Afleet Summer accomplished something none of those four could. On opposite coasts, her 5-year-old son Swift Warrior and her 3-year-old colt Dice Flavor each won.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
Dice Flavor, who scored an impressive victory in this year's El Camino Real Derby, has yet to start on dirt.
Southern California shipper Dice Flavor, whose only four starts had been on grass for trainer Paddy Gallagher, burst away from the field past mid-stretch to easily win the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) Feb. 16.
Surging in the final yards, Swift Warrior prevailed in a tight four-horse finish to the $150,000 Tampa Bay Stakes for his second grade III victory in a row Feb. 16 on the turf at Tampa Bay Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino
- Cuomo Administration Fires Back at Criticism
- No Horses Injured in Pennsylvania Barn Fire
- Japan Races added to BC Challenge Series
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- KY-Bred Ryans Charm Scores Repeat in Peru GI
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup