According to a Thoroughbred Racing Associations study, money from added-gaming sources now accounts for more than one-third of the purse money awarded in U.S. Thoroughbred racing.
In November Colorado voters will decide if Arapahoe Park will be allowed to add casino-type gambling. The Denver Post reports Colorado Secretary of State Scott Gessler determined enough signatures had been submitted.
With purses boosted by added gaming, ThistleDown Racino will open its 2014 racing season April 18 when the North Randall, Ohio track offers its 90th season of racing.
Kentucky lawmakers will have another option when considering a possible constitutional amendment to place before voters that would pave the way for casino gambling.
- By Frank Angst
- Racing, Health, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, West Region, Kentucky, Mid-Atlantic
Amid a changing landscape of funding sources in horse racing, the Jockeys' Guild has turned to state lobbyists to help ensure its interests are considered.
Woodbine Entertainment Group announced Dec. 20 that handle on the Woodbine 2012 live Thoroughbred meet, which concluded Dec. 16, showed impressive growth over the 2011 season.
The Texas Racing Commission has approved Nevada-based Pinnacle Entertainment to purchase 75.5% of the racing assets of Retama Park in San Antonio.
Most Popular Stories
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- MJC: Laurel Meet Offered Building Blocks
- Smart Strike Stallion Sons
- Stacy Mitchhart to Conclude TOBA Dinner
- Swagger Jack Moves to Dana Point
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Seth Hancock Named Keeneland Trustee
- Glen Hill Farm to Sponsor One Dreamer Stakes