Add Heat, listed at 20-1 morning line odds for the Breeders' Cup Marathon, the first race on the Oct. 25 World Championships card, was scratched by trainer Barry Abrams.
Thoroughbreds in this country don't get much of an opportunity to race that far, and most of them aren't bred to cover such a long route of ground.
Trainer Doug O'Neill watched his retired star Lava Man lead the post parade for Oak Tree's $250,000 California Cup Classic, then saw his newest stable standout Mr. Chairman dig in to defeat the favored filly Romance Is Diane by a head Oct. 5 at Santa Anita.
Four-year-old filly Romance Is Diane, a grade I stakes winner, is the 5-2 favorite among eight entrants in the $250,000 California Cup Classic presented by City National Bank, the centerpiece of Oak Tree's 10-stakes series of races exclusively for state-breds at Santa Anita Oct. 5.
Two-time grade II winner On the Acorn returns from an absence of more than nine months in the $150,000 San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) at 12 furlongs on the Santa Anita turf course Feb. 23.
Peter Vegso homebred War Monger came from well off the pace, moved into contention around the final turn, and caught pacesetter Lucky J.H. in mid-stretch en route to a 1 1/4-length victory in the $500,000 Sunshine Millions Turf Jan. 26 at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Mastery Passes Two-Turn Test in Futurity
- Abel Tasman Upsets American Gal in Starlet
- California Chrome Logs Final 'Challenge' Work
- Bode's Dream Perfect in House Party
- Paulassilverlining Golden in Garland of Roses
- Greatbullsoffire Runs Away With MD Futurity
- Mobile Bay Turns Tables in LA Classic
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Los Al Gets Spotlight
- Keane Stud Announces 2017 Stud Fees
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow