Nominations to the Sunshine Millions, an eight-race series that will be televised nationally Jan. 28, have closed with a total of 333 names submitted.
Mr. and Mrs. Bertram Firestone's Grand Reserve, to be ridden by Jerry Bailey, and Shadwell Stable's Tadreeb, with Jose Velez Jr. aboard, are the horses to beat in a field of 11 3-year-olds entered in Saturday's $200,000 Calder Derby (gr. IIIT) at 1 1/8 miles on turf.
Two-year-old filly Aclassysassylassy has shown her ability on the dirt, dominating her Florida rivals. She'll make her turf course debut Sunday at Calder Race Course in a field of 10 entered in the $50,000 Georgia Debutante overnight stakes at 1 1/16 miles.
Aclassysassylassy won her fourth consecutive stakes race, taking the $150,000 Joe O'Farrell Juvenile Fillies Saturday at Calder Race Course, the first race in the 2004 Florida Million series.
California graded stakes winner Supah Blitz and juvenile standouts Flamenco and Aclassysassylassy are among the top horses competing on Saturday's Florida Million program at Calder Race Course.
Aclassysassylassy completed a sweep of the filly division of the Florida Stallion Stakes, winning the $400,000 My Dear Girl Stakes by 3 1/2 lengths at Calder during the Festival of the Sun.
Barbara Vivian and Dominic Vittese's Aclassysassylassy can join Nancy's Glitter as the only filly to sweep the three-race Florida Stallions Stakes series if she can win the $400,000 My Dear Girl Stakes Saturday at Calder Race Course.
Aclassysassylassy won the $125,000 Susan's Girl Division of the Florida Stallion Stakes at Calder Race Course on Monday by 2 1/2 lengths.
The $125,000 Affirmed and $125,000 Susan's Girl divisions of the Florida Stallion Stakes at seven furlongs on Labor Day Monday highlight the second Juvenile Showcase program Saturday at Calder Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out