It was a good day for the home team in the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Races Dec. 11 as locally based horses won three of the four features.
Simon Burgess talks with trainer John Moore, who has Mighty High in the Vase, Admiration in the Sprint, Irian and Jacobee in the Hong Kong Cup, and Able One, Destined For Glory, and Xtension in the Mile. Watch Video
Viva Pataca became the highest money earner in the history of Hong Kong racing when he scored a stunning win in the Audemars Piguet QEII Cup (HK-I) at Sha Tin April 25.
Good Ba Ba produced a devastating surge to win the Dec. 14 Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile (HK-I) at Sha Tin for the second straight year, leaving his jockey Christophe Soumillon to declare that he was the best miler in the world. That's even harder to dispute when it was confirmed the phenomenal winning time of 1:32.71 was a track record.
Eagle Mountain, a leading challenger for the HK$20m Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Cup (HK-I) on Dec. 14, impressed with a spectacular gallop on the grass at Sha Tin Dec. 9.
Local outsider Able One led from start to finish to virtually steal the Champions Mile (HK-I) at Sha Tin Sunday in a triumph for Hong Kong, with John Moore training the victor and the runner-up, Joyful Winner.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Still Healing in Northwest
- American Pharoah Takes Haskell With Ease
- Haskin: Bronwen Healy's American Adventure
- 'Pharoah' Heads Home, Next Race Undecided
- World Approval, Night Prowler Seeking 'Fame'
- Injured Jockey Luzzi Cleared to Resume Riding
- Upstart Fine After Haskell; Travers Next
- Lea Tunes Up for Whitney in Workout
- Flashy American, Willow Hills in Groupie Doll
- Records Fall on Haskell Day at Monmouth Park