By winning a quarter-mile race at Sunland Park March 1, Zuellas Heat became the first 2-year-old winner of 2014 and first Northern Hemisphere winner for freshman sire Southwestern Heat, a son of 2001 champion filly Xtra Heat.
Explosively Fast, a son of Ghostly Moves, brought the top price for a Thoroughbred of $59,500 during the New Mexico-bred Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred yearling sale Aug. 18 at Ruidoso Downs.
Southwestern Heat, a 6-year-old son of Gone West produced from the champion mare Xtra Heat, will enter stud in 2011 at A&A Ranch in Anthony, New Mexico.
Son of Seattle Slew was the sire of 20 stakes winners including last year's Breeders' Cup Turf Sprinnt winner California Flag
Wild Deputy, a successful sire in New Mexico, has been relocated to Fred and Linda Alexander's A&A Ranch near Anthony, N.M.
Millionaire Lazy Lode has arrived for stallion duty at Fred Alexander's A&A Ranch near Anthony, N.M.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Wise Dan Back at the Track
- Two Share Fastest Furlong Time at F-T Show
- Hall Finalists Include Leatherbury, Lava Man
- New Social Media Rule for Australian Racing
- The Great War No Longer Pursuing Derby
- Wise Dan, Main Sequence Top Turf Classic Noms
- Daredevil Back to Work After Swale Washout
- The Jockey Club 2015 Fact Book Now Online
- Mountaineer Cancels; Parx Loses Most of Card
- Indiana Derby Moves to Mid-July This Year