A Bertrando--St. Helens Shadow colt worked the fastest quarter-mile in 20.7 seconds during Sunday's preview show for Barretts Equine's 2-year-olds in training sale that will be held Tuesday at Fairplex Racetrack. The colt consigned by Becky Thomas' Sequel Bloodstock was timed in 9.8 seconds for his first eighth of a mile, a time faster than any ever recorded for an eighth mile workout at a Barretts under tack show.
The Racing Network has announced it will air a pre-sale under tack video produced by the Fasig-Tipton Sales Company for the upcoming 2-year-olds in training sale.
Agent Buzz Chace, acting on behalf of Roger King, paid $900,000 for an Irish River colt during Tuesday's Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's selected sale of 2-year-olds in training at Calder Race Course. The price was a record for the sale. "I thought he was the best horse in the sale," Chace said. "He was graceful on the racetrack and he had great demeanor and presence back at the barn."
A general meeting of the National Association of Two-Year-Old Consignors in Ocala, Fla., Tuesday evening focused on a number of concerns, including medication, perception problems in the media, and buyer confidence. Much of the meeting focused on industry unity and introduction of a slogan that promotes horses coming out of the 2-year-old sales: bid, buy, and race with confidence.
After meeting with Fasig-Tipton officials in Lexington Sept. 14, representatives of the National Association of Two-Year-Old Consignors reported that the auction firm will reduce the length of its Calder select juvenile sale from two days to one.
Consignors of 2-year-olds in training banded together in Florida Aug. 24 and formed an organization designed to improve the image of juvenile auctions. In addition, they discussed various issues such as drug testing, the use of whips, and pre-sale workout formats.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment