New Year's Day, winner of the $2 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), will stand the 2014 breeding season for a fee of $12,500 live foal stands and nurses, Hill 'n' Dale Farm announced Jan. 1.
Derby season got off to a promising start Jan. 1 when General a Rod slugged it out to the wire with front-running Wildcat Red to prevail by a head in the $100,000 Gulfstream Park Derby.
Teen Pauline and Lion D N A rang in the new year with stakes victories at Aqueduct Racetrack Jan. 1.
Louisiana jockey Anna Roberts, who rode at Fair Grounds sparingly over the past few years after graduating from Hall of Fame jockey Chris McCarron's North American Racing Academy, has decided to call it quits.
An unlucky second in the New Zealand One Thousand Guineas (NZ-I) last time out, favorite Bounding took control early in the Railway Stakes (NZ-I) Jan. 1 at Ellerslie and held on for a breakthrough triumph at the top level.
Javier Castellano led North American jockeys in victories and total purse earnings for the first time in 2013, while Todd Pletcher ended the year far ahead on the national earnings list for trainers for the eighth time.
Former Spendthrift Farm president Leslie Brownell Combs II died Dec. 29, 2013, in Lexington at age 80.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Gallops at Churchill
- Espinoza: TC Pursuit 'Different This Time'
- Frosted Scheduled for Belmont Stakes Run
- MarketWatch: American Pharoah's Stud Value
- Golden Eagle Partial Dispersal at Barretts
- Five Palms Making Stakes Debut in Los Angeles
- American Pharoah to Stand at Ashford Stud
- Love Me Only's First Foal a Stakes Winner
- Pletcher Horses Top Belmont Work Tab
- Frosted Continues Working Toward Belmont
Most Popular Profiles
Trainer: Todd A. Pletcher
Owner: Alto Racing, LLC
Jockey: Javier Castellano