New Year's Day, winner of the $2 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), will stand the 2014 breeding season for a fee of $12,500 live foal stands and nurses, Hill 'n' Dale Farm announced Jan. 1.
Derby season got off to a promising start Jan. 1 when General a Rod slugged it out to the wire with front-running Wildcat Red to prevail by a head in the $100,000 Gulfstream Park Derby.
Teen Pauline and Lion D N A rang in the new year with stakes victories at Aqueduct Racetrack Jan. 1.
Louisiana jockey Anna Roberts, who rode at Fair Grounds sparingly over the past few years after graduating from Hall of Fame jockey Chris McCarron's North American Racing Academy, has decided to call it quits.
An unlucky second in the New Zealand One Thousand Guineas (NZ-I) last time out, favorite Bounding took control early in the Railway Stakes (NZ-I) Jan. 1 at Ellerslie and held on for a breakthrough triumph at the top level.
Javier Castellano led North American jockeys in victories and total purse earnings for the first time in 2013, while Todd Pletcher ended the year far ahead on the national earnings list for trainers for the eighth time.
Former Spendthrift Farm president Leslie Brownell Combs II died Dec. 29, 2013, in Lexington at age 80.
Super Saver 2014
More Than Ready 2014
Union Rags 2014
Twirling Candy 2014
The Factor 2014
Stephen Got Even 2014
Smart Strike 2014
Quality Road 2014
Pleasantly Perfect 2014
Morning Line 2014
Lemon Drop Kid 2014
Discreetly Mine 2014
City Zip 2014
Candy Ride 2014
English Channel 2014
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Ortiz Lands 1,000th Win in John Morrisey
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- A Longshot in the Vanderbilt Handicap
- Sunday Silence Dominates Broodmare Sires
- Mountaineer's Leading Trainer Suspended
- Alsvid Takes on Lord Nelson in Bing Crosby