Trainers Tom Amoss and Steve Asmussen ended the 141st Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots meeting in a dead-heat for most victories with 42 apiece when they combined to win half of the races on the closing-day card March 31.
Idle since he was well beaten in the Travers Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 25, Liaison came back running in the $71,500 Santana Mile March 31, defeating favored Midnight Transfer by a half-length at Santa Anita Park.
Power Broker, one of three likely starters for trainer Bob Baffert in the April 6 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), worked four furlongs in company the morning of March 31 in :47 2/5.
Shug McGaughey made the trip to Payson Park March 31 to check on Orb, his Besilu Stables Florida Derby winner (gr. I) the preceding afternoon, reporting that the son of Malibu Moon was looking bright and feeling good.
Verrazano and Normandy Invasion, leading contenders for the upcoming $1 million Wood Memorial (gr. I), both posted bullet moves March 31 at Palm Meadows Training Center.
A research team from the Nutraceutical Alliance Inc. shared some good news for owners of horses with osteoarthritis at the 2012 American Association of Equine Practitioners convention: A nutritional supplement fed immediately after osteochondral fragment removal surgery could help reduce the amount of post-surgical inflammation in the joint.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind Upsets Beholder
- Maiden No More, Laoban Stuns Jim Dandy Rivals
- A. P. Indian Outduels Holy Boss in Vanderbilt
- Flintshire Scores in Eventful Bowling Green
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Lexie Lou Goes Wire to Wire in Victoriana
- Pennsylvania Sanctions Trainer Preciado
- Monmouth, Suffolk Battle Over Entries
- Minding Overcomes Trouble for Nassau Win
- Mind Your Biscuits Takes Amsterdam