Trainers Tom Amoss and Steve Asmussen ended the 141st Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots meeting in a dead-heat for most victories with 42 apiece when they combined to win half of the races on the closing-day card March 31.
Idle since he was well beaten in the Travers Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 25, Liaison came back running in the $71,500 Santana Mile March 31, defeating favored Midnight Transfer by a half-length at Santa Anita Park.
Power Broker, one of three likely starters for trainer Bob Baffert in the April 6 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), worked four furlongs in company the morning of March 31 in :47 2/5.
Shug McGaughey made the trip to Payson Park March 31 to check on Orb, his Besilu Stables Florida Derby winner (gr. I) the preceding afternoon, reporting that the son of Malibu Moon was looking bright and feeling good.
Verrazano and Normandy Invasion, leading contenders for the upcoming $1 million Wood Memorial (gr. I), both posted bullet moves March 31 at Palm Meadows Training Center.
A research team from the Nutraceutical Alliance Inc. shared some good news for owners of horses with osteoarthritis at the 2012 American Association of Equine Practitioners convention: A nutritional supplement fed immediately after osteochondral fragment removal surgery could help reduce the amount of post-surgical inflammation in the joint.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Zulu Seeks Skip Away Rebound
- Different Paths, Futures for Two Spiral Contenders
- Arnold Believes Spiral is Good Spot for Convict Pike
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial