California breeder/owner Larry Mabee died Sunday, Dec. 16, of prostate cancer at his home in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.
Legislation to bring off-track betting back to New York City was vetoed Dec. 17 by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
Jeff Sotman, a longtime Thoroughbred industry executive and entrepreneur, died on Nov. 28 at age 50.
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Dec. 17 that proponents of an online gambling bill are out of time as the legislative session draws to a close.
Martin Burdett-Coutts, who operated Can-Am Bloodstock, died Dec. 15 in Florida at age 86.
David Switzer, executive director of the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association, is among five graduates of the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture who were inducted into the inaugural Hall of Distinguished Alumni.
Because of a storm that brought heavy rain and left the track unsuitable for racing, Turf Paradise canceled racing a third straight day Monday, Dec. 17.
Ellis Park in Henderson, Ky., will host a new handicapping contest with an estimated purse of $300,000 over the Labor Day weekend in 2013.
Ibn Bey, a four-time European champion who ran second in the 1990 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), died in Japan on Dec. 10.
Lane's End will host an open house for breeders daily from Saturday, Jan. 5, through Wednesday, Jan. 9, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment