Caracortado took advantage of an all-out pace duel to come from far out of it, winning the $98,000 Daytona Stakes (gr. IIIT) on Santa Anita's hillside turf course with a remarkable late charge Jan. 8.
Prominent jockey Rosie Napravnik injured both ankles when thrown from her mount, Benwill, behind the gate prior to the sixth race at Fair Grounds.
Recovering from a stroke suffered Jan. 3, trainer Humberto Ascanio's room at Arcadia Methodist Hospital has seen a near-constant stream of well-wishers.
A Michigan man and two friends cashed a 10-Cent Rainbow 6 wager worth a record $414,166 at Gulfstream Park Jan. 7.
Consignors and buyers generally were busy and in a good mood one day before the start of the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale in Lexington.
In spite of a decision by authorities to not prosecute trainer Juan Carlos Guerrero in an alleged indecent assault case, an attorney for Parx Racing says its 10-year ban on Guerrero will not be lifted.
Favored Mr. Prankster, making his first start in six weeks, came from off the pace to win the $50,000 Turfway Prevue Stakes at Turfway Park on the night of Jan. 7.
Many pleasure horses can easily survive and prosper off hay alone. Elite athletic horses, however, need their diets customized to meet their specific dietary requirements, as hay alone often does not provide enough energy (calories).
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Another Big Finish for McCraken in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Fast and Accurate Works Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Kitasan Black Dominates in Tenno Sho
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work