Caracortado took advantage of an all-out pace duel to come from far out of it, winning the $98,000 Daytona Stakes (gr. IIIT) on Santa Anita's hillside turf course with a remarkable late charge Jan. 8.
Prominent jockey Rosie Napravnik injured both ankles when thrown from her mount, Benwill, behind the gate prior to the sixth race at Fair Grounds.
Recovering from a stroke suffered Jan. 3, trainer Humberto Ascanio's room at Arcadia Methodist Hospital has seen a near-constant stream of well-wishers.
A Michigan man and two friends cashed a 10-Cent Rainbow 6 wager worth a record $414,166 at Gulfstream Park Jan. 7.
Consignors and buyers generally were busy and in a good mood one day before the start of the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale in Lexington.
In spite of a decision by authorities to not prosecute trainer Juan Carlos Guerrero in an alleged indecent assault case, an attorney for Parx Racing says its 10-year ban on Guerrero will not be lifted.
Favored Mr. Prankster, making his first start in six weeks, came from off the pace to win the $50,000 Turfway Prevue Stakes at Turfway Park on the night of Jan. 7.
Many pleasure horses can easily survive and prosper off hay alone. Elite athletic horses, however, need their diets customized to meet their specific dietary requirements, as hay alone often does not provide enough energy (calories).
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- The Curse of Haskin