A hot pace failed to deter Wickedly Perfect when she rallied in upper stretch to win the $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. III) Aug. 6 at Del Mar to remain unbeaten in two starts.
Amid concerns about track safety, horsemen representatives and Santa Anita management met the morning of Aug. 6 to discuss progress on renovation of the Pro-Ride synthetic racing surface that began July 26.
Late summer means weaning time at many farms so I'm photographing the youngsters as they transition from foals to weanlings. Plans are to photograph the weaning process sometime in August. Read Blog
Lisa's Booby Trap, blind in one eye and wearing a hind shoe on one of her front feet to correct an ankle problem, romped to a six-length victory as the 3-2 favorite in the $68,600 Loudonville Stakes.
Flower Alley, winner of the 2005 Travers Stakes (gr. I), was represented with his first winner when his juvenile daughter, Smoke Alley, held on for a head victory in the second race at Woodbine Aug. 6.
Hollywood Park plans to race through the 2011 calendar year, track president Jack Liebau said.
Multiple graded stakes winner Desert Party has been retired from racing and will stand at stud at the Maktoum family's Darley USA near Lexington.
- By Vic Zast
Front-runners scampered home first in all but one of six races run on the sloppy track. Read Blog
A foal's immune system is known to be weak and immature, but new cell-based research suggests that "immunodeficiency" might be too broad a term to define the disease-fighting capacity of the youngest horses.
A recent outbreak of equine herpesvirus type 1 (EHV-1), a highly infectious viral disease of horses, has been confirmed on a breeding farm in northern Tasmania. One mare died and several others aborted their foals.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- HRRN Set for Dubai, Gulfstream Coverage
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale