Only Malaysian-based Genting New York remains a viable candidate but its selection to run a casino at Aqueduct is far from certain.
Ed Ford, who served as a director of the Grayson-Jockey Club Foundation for 12 years, died July 2.
Includes photos of Queen Elizabeth, Haynesfield, Franny Freud, Global Hunter, Rachel Alexandra. and more. View Slideshow
A new bonus program for California-bred maiden winners is off to a good start, according to figures for the first half of 2010 from the California Thoroughbred Breeders Association.
Remarkable 3-year-old sprinter D'Funnybone, entering off an authoritative victory last month, will be an overwhelming favorite in a short field entered for the $200,000 Carry Back Stakes (gr. III) July 10 at Calder.
Flag Day is the top-priced horse, bringing 115,000 guineas ($182,819 in U.S. funds).
Locally-based pair Big Drama and Mambo Meister, with a combined 13 wins at Calder Race Course and both entering off wins over the track, are two of the horses to beat in the $350,000 Smile Sprint Handicap (gr. II) on July 10
Trainer Marty Wolfson, who last won the Princess Rooney Handicap (gr. I) back in 1996, has a decent chance to get back to the winner's circle in the 2010 edition, as he will saddle four of the 13 runners in the $350,000 race.
Veteran Kentucky horseman George R. Arnold Sr. died July 4. The Lexington native was 83.
Battle Plan, a grade II winner for the Young family's Overbrook Farm, has been sold to a group of Japanese breeders representing J.S. Company in Japan.
With a predicted temperature of 100 degrees and a slightly higher heat index, racetracks in the Northeast canceled or curtailed live racing programs.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night