Bourbon Bay, who had won the only prior 1 1/2-mile turf race during the Santa Anita meet, made it two-for-two when he romped home in the $150,000 San Luis Obispo Handicap (gr. IIT) for his first stakes triumph Feb. 21.
Retired trainer Hal Wiggins, who developed Rachel Alexandra and trained her early in her Horse of the Year campaign, has joined Legacy Bloodstock to assist in client relations and owner recruiting.
The morning after the race, trainer Bruce Levine said Buddy's Saint, who had a rough trip as the 9-5 favorite in the $250,000 Fasig-Tipton Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 20, was not injured in the race.
Heavy favorite Espoir City, Japan's champion dirt horse last year, got his 2010 campaign off to a great start by easily winning the US$2.2 million February Stakes, the first grade I race of the season Feb. 21 at Tokyo.
Unbeaten Elusive Bluff, a New York graded stakes winner at 2, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Jay Adcock's Red River Farms near Coushatta, La.
Eskendereya shook off Jackson Bend rounding the final turn of the $250,000 Fasig-Tipton Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park and romped home by 8 1/2 lengths under John Velazquez Feb.20.
Two-time Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winning jockey Calvin Borel has been named the 2010 winner of Santa Anita's George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award in a vote of his peers.
Helen Belen, owned by Mike Schnell's Desk Farms, won her first stakes in the Feb. 20 Valdale Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Turfway Park, and in the process gave her owner and trainer their first stakes victories.
If you read the title of this article and said, "WHAT?!?" don't worry--you're not alone! No horse owner wants to think of even a single worm burrowing in their horse's innards. But a goal of zero tolerance for worms is no longer a realistic one; increasing resistance of worms (particularly small strongyles) to common deworming drugs ...
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot