With a new track surface in place, Santa Anita Park opened the doors for its 74th winter/spring meet Dec. 26 with 34,268 fans in attendance for a nine-race program that included four stakes.
Sidney's Candy, the overwhelming favorite in a scratched-down field of five for the $150,000 Sir Beaufort Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita Dec. 26, romped to a 7 1/4-length triumph.
John Sadler and Joel Rosario completed a sweep of the three graded stakes on the opening day program at Santa Anita Dec. 26 when Twirling Candy nosed Smiling Tiger in a thrilling finish to the $250,000 Malibu Stakes (gr. I).
Victoire Pisa, a son of Neo Universe, posted his fourth graded stakes triumph when he took the lead at the top of the stretch and held off all challengers to win the (US$4.2 million) Arima Kinen (Jpn-I).
Heavily favored Switch registered a stakes record time in winning the $250,000 La Brea Stakes (gr. I) on the new dirt track at Santa Anita Dec. 26.
Canadian-based trainer Robertino Diodoro has always wanted to win a race at Santa Anita. On opening day, Dec. 26, he not only won his first race there, he won the very first race on Santa Anita's new dirt surface.
The offices of Blood-Horse Publications will be closed Dec. 24-25. There will be no daily newsletters for Dec. 25 and Dec. 26.
Flehmen is the term used to describe the behavior in which a horse extends its neck, raises its head, and inhales as it rolls its upper lip back, displaying its front teeth.
Leading retailers that sell animal health supplements are partnering with National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) to reduce incidences of regulatory action and to provide consumers with guidance on purchasing reputable products for animals.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Albarado Fractures Ankle, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Irad Ortiz Jr. Wins Aqueduct Riding Title
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Stormy Liberal Wins Third Straight Stakes
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic
- Party Boat Upsets Fifty Five in Memories of Silver