Visitors to Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby Museum May 3, the day after the 135th "Run for the Roses" got a surprise gift from the team behind Mine That Bird, the 50-1 longshot who won the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Favorite Mrs Kipling, allowed to relax much of the way under a confident David Flores, rallied from seventh at the top of the stretch May 3 en route to an easy 2 1/2-length victory over longshot Candilejas in $100,000 Senorita Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park.
An Alaska newspaper article claims a co-owner of the upset winner in the May 2 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) has alleged ties to a public scandal involving state politicians and likely bought his share of Mine That Bird with $30 million he received from the separate sale of his family's oil field services company.
Tampa Bay Downs concluded its 83rd live race meeting May 3 by handing out honors to the leading trainer, jockey, owner, and apprentice jockey.
With Quality Road having returned to the track on May 3, galloping an eager 1 1/4 miles under exercise rider Juan Moreno, Jimmy Jerkens said the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) on June 6 remained a possibility for the Elusive Quality colt, who is owned by Edward P. Evans.
On a cool, wet May 3 morning in the barn area of Churchill Downs, the owners and trainer of Mine That Bird were basking in the limelight while still trying to absorb what had transpired the previous day when the 3-year-old gelding posted a stunning 6 3/4-length victory over Pioneerof the Nile in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
Catching up with Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird the day after the big upset.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Lights of Medina Leads Pletcher Trio in Mother Goose
- Curlin's Approval Heads Princess Rooney
- Holy Helena Favored for Queen's Plate
- Get your Scorecard, the Travers Trail Has Begun
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Delta Bluesman Aims to Repeat in Smile Sprint
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker