Triple Crown Talk blog, with host Jason Shandler, looks at the Risen Star and the Robert B. Lewis.
Magnum, a close second to Lava Man in the 2006 Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I), should get a second chance after his sharp upset win in the $200,000 San Antonio Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Feb. 8.
Trainer Frank Lucarelli recorded the 1,000th victory of his career when Premier Diablo rallied from last to win the first race Feb. 8 at Golden Gate Fields in Albany, Calif.
Herman K. Goodpaster, a trainer and breeder of the white Thoroughbred filly White Beauty, died Feb. 7.
William Inglis & Son's Sydney classic yearling sale opened Feb. 8 in Australia with a session in which 83 horses sold for Aust$2,104,500 (approximately $1,421,022 in U.S. funds). The average price was Aust$25,355 ($17,121), and the median price was Aust$20,000 ($13,505). The clearance rate was 78%.
The Horseplayers Association of North America regularly rates the 65 Thoroughbred racetracks in North America. Featured exclusively on BloodHorse.com is a countdown of the top 10 tracks. Churchill Downs is #5.
Lucky Quality did his part, winning the Feb. 7 Class One Jebsen Industrial Handicap on the all-weather track at Sha Tin under top weight of 133 pounds, and now the ball is in the court of the Dubai Racing Club to see if the flying 4-year-old becomes Hong Kong's next international runner.
The past two Cox Plate (Aust-I) winners clashed in the seven furlong CF Orr Stakes (Aust-I) on yet another day wracked by intense heat. The event was held Feb. 8 at Caulfield racecourse.
Following a record 450 nominations to the 2007 Triple Crown and a near record 449 in 2008, the number has decreased to 401 in 2009.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- New York Lawmakers Question Cuomo's NYRA Plans
- Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt
- Recalling World's Most Lucrative Races
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Lane to Join The National Stud as New Stud Manager
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow