Dr. John Steiner, an equine reproductive specialist who was a diplomate of the American College of Theriogenologists and served as the organization's president in 2005-2006, died May 26 at the Albany Medical Center in New York.
Panty Raid, a grade I winner on dirt and turf, has been retired from racing because of a torn suspensory.
Bennie Stutts Jr. is looking forward to visiting northern Ohio for the $300,000 Ohio Derby (gr. II) May 31. But unlike his first trip--about 51 years ago--Stutts won't need a snow shovel.
The Japan Racing Horse Association has cataloged 162 yearlings and 335 foals for its July select sale, which will be held at the Northern Horse Park on the Japanese island of Hokkaido.
The Magic Millions national sale got off to a positive start on Australia's Gold Coast May 27 when the first session of the weanling sale was held.
Behindatthebar comes into the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) a fresh horse, having scratched from the May 17 Preakness Stakes (gr. I) due to a bruised left front foot.
Nobutaka Tada, spokesperson for the connections of Casino Drive, said the Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) winner was "50-50" to breeze on Wednesday in preparation for the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
- By Tom LaMarra
A congressional subcommittee could schedule a hearing as early as June to examine breakdowns, medication use, and breeding practices in Thoroughbreds.
Recorded in 2008, Jockeys Steve Cauthen and Jorge Velasquez look back on the rivalry between Affirmed and Alydar during the 1978 Triple Crown. Steve Cauthen and Jorge Velasquez recount the Belmont battle between Affirmed and Alydar. A four part series: Reliving a Classic Rivalry Part 1 Reliving a Classic Rivalry Part 2 Reliving a Classic Rivalry Part 3 Reliving a Classic Rivalry Part 4
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- Quiet Business Wins Bewitch on Keeneland's Closing Day