Frank Stronach and Adena Springs dominate at Florida awards banquet.
Making his first start in more than five months, grade I winner Georgie Boy kicked off his 3-year-old campaign in fine style with a big closing rush to win the $147,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II).
Odds on Winchell Thoroughbreds' Pyro, the impressive winner of the Risen Star Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 9, closed at 5-1 in Pool 1 of the Churchill Downs' 2008 Kentucky Derby Future Wager.
Unbeaten Indian Blessing, the champion 2-year-old filly of 2007, took over the role of narrow favorite in the first pool of the 2008 Kentucky Oaks Future Wager after the Bob Baffert-trained filly's win in the $200,000 Silverbulletday Stakes (gr. III) at Fair Grounds Feb. 9.
With no stakes winner in the field, even-money choice Dawn After Dawn had an easy time of it in winning the $200,000 La Canada Stakes (gr. II) on the front end at Santa Anita Feb. 10.
The 40-year-old jockey picked up the milestone victory Feb. 10 at Gulfstream Park.
Although fewer horses were sold, the two-day Fasig-Tipton Kentucky winter mixed sale posted increases in gross, average, and median during its opening session Feb. 10 at the sale company's Newtown Paddocks near Lexington.
The two early Kentucky Derby favorites, one in Lousiana, the other in Florida, are on schedule for their respective trainers.
The juvenile selling season opens Tuesday with the OBS February select sale, and the mood in Central Florida has been upbeat.
Monashee, a British Columbia champion, has been retired from racing and will be bred to first-year stallion Hard Spun.
A Cuvee filly turned in the fastest work ever at an eighth of a mile for an OBS sale.
Frigid temperatures forced the Florence, Ky. racetrack to cancel live racing Feb. 10.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Farhaan Makes the Grade in Thunder Road
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls