Barbaro, winner of the Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) is continuing to strengthen on his right hind leg since the cast was removed Nov. 6, according to his medical team at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center.
- By Tom LaMarra
Presque Isle Downs, currently under construction near Erie, Pa., plans to offer 25 nights of Thoroughbred racing for its inaugural season in September 2007, track officials and horsemen said.
A proposal that could lead to eliminating the state's $27-million-a-year subsidy to the horse racing industry likely won't make it out of the starting gate.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick - Steroids have been at the center of scandals in numerous sports, particularly track and field and baseball, but the only steroid scandal in racing is that they are legal.
By Barry Irwin - Our sport is not ready for prime-time exposure because it is corrupt at its very core. The essence of racing is handicapping a race and betting on it. If one cannot present a level playing field, what is there to promote?
The New Mexico Racing Commission denied a settlement proposal from an attorney representing trainer Steve Asmussen, who is battling a six-month suspension after one of his horses tested positive for a prohibited Class 3 drug in March.
The California Coastal Commission has approved plans by Del Mar to replace its dirt surface with a synthetic Polytrack, track officials said.
Greeley's Galaxy, a nine-length winner of the Illinois Derby (gr. II) has been retired and will stand at Susan and Howard Kaskel's Sugar Maple Farm in New York.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Stronach Still Seeking New Heights for Racing
- Bayern's First Foal, a Filly, Arrives in Ontario
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Jockey Olguin Secures Milestone Win
- Stonestreet to Sponsor Lexington Stakes, Purse Boosted
- R. A. Hill Stable Buys Into Breaking Lucky
- Metaboss to Harris Farms in California
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup