Bowman's Band's first foal is a chestnut filly out of the Thirty Eight Paces mare Mrs. Bellerby foaled at Shamrock Farm in Maryland and owned by farm manager Jim Steele. The filly was born on Jan. 20.
Edmund Gann's Major Success, battling between horses under Tyler Baze throughout the final furlong, outlasted his rivals by a neck to make his stakes debut a winning one for trainer Bobby Frankel in the $150,000 Palos Verdes Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park Saturday.
McCarty Racing's 3-2 favorite Flame Of Love romped to a 10 1/2-length victory over her eight filly and mare rivals to win the $85,000 What A Summer Stakes Saturday at Laurel Park.
Susan and John Moore's Smokey Glacken collared favorite Trickle of Gold near the quarter pole and drew away in the stretch to capture Saturday's $100,000 First Lady Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares by 4 1/4 lengths at Gulfstream Park.
Team Block's always-tough Fort Prado ran closer to the pacesetter Onthedeanslist this time around and registered a neck victory over his rival in the $189,800 Fair Grounds Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Harrah's Louisiana Downs turf Saturday.
Phipps Stables' homebred Happy Hunting won his first stakes try Saturday as the favorite against a group of veteran campaigners in the $110,000 Aqueduct Handicap (gr. III).
New York Racing Association attendance and handle figures suffered drops in 2005 as compared to the previous year.
In the wake of a horse being diagnosed with equine herpesvirus (EHV-1) at Penn National Race Course on Friday, Philadelphia Park has banned shippers from that oval, effective immediately. Shippers from Maryland, including the Bowie Training Center, are also prohibited.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture