Making the first start of his career on the grass, the pacesetting Badge of Silver sped away from his rivals in the stretch to register a mild upset for trainer Bobby Frankel in the $150,000 San Gabriel Handicap (gr. IIT) on the turf at stormy Santa Anita Park Sunday.
Steve Asmussen saddled a New Year's Day stakes winner for the second straight year as Catonight captured the $81,600 Sugar Bowl for 3-year-olds Sunday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Carey Miller's unbeaten Great Seneca lived up to top billing as he pounded out an impressive victory in the $75,000 Dancing Count Stakes for 3-year-olds at Laurel Park.
Lael Stables' undefeated Barbaro was an impressive winner of Sunday's Tropical Park Derby (gr. IIIT), the first 'derby' in the nation in 2006, at Calder Sunday for his third consecutive win on the turf.
Jockey Norberto Arroyo Jr. won the first four races on Sunday's New Year's Day card, the first day of Aqueduct's winter meet.
Recent grade II winners Magna Graduate and Super Frolic have each been assigned 120 pounds and are co-highweights for Saturday's $400,000-added New Orleans Handicap (gr. II), the biggest race of the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Jet West, a 5-year-old California-bred sprinter claimed by trainer Ted H. West for $62,000 in August, seeks his fourth straight victory for his new connections Monday in Santa Anita's $100,000 El Conejo Handicap (gr. III).
Recurrent exertional rhabdomyolysis (RER, tying-up) causes affected Thoroughbreds to suffer recurring episodes of muscle cramping, stiffness, excessive sweating, and a reluctance to move after exercise. With no cure available, information on how RER might be inherited is welcome news to the Thoroughbred industry.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Werther Goes the Distance in Hong Kong
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner
- Starship Jubilee Much the Best in Nassau Stakes
- Tapwrit Works Toward Belmont; True Timber Confirmed
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Churchill Completes Rare Guineas Double