Grasshopper Stable's Flamethrowintexan overpowered the field in Sunday's $98,750 Mt. Rainier Breeder's Cup Handicap, going gate to wire for a 2 1/4-length victory at Emerald Downs.
Greg's Gold, making his stakes debut for trainer David Hofmans, captured the $300,000 Bing Crosby Handicap (gr. I) as favored Pico Central faded to finish last at Del Mar Sunday.
Germany's 2004 Horse of the Year Soldier Hollow got back to his winning ways when he defeated even-money choice Arcadio to give trainer Peter Schiergen the first two finishers in Sunday's Grosser Dallmayr-Preis (Ger-I) at Munich.
The British-based Silver Highlight, a daughter of Silver Charm, broke her maiden in style when she captured the $252,400 Wonder Where Stakes Sunday on the Woodbine turf course.
Jockey John Velazquez turned Ashado loose in the upper stretch, and the champion filly demolished the field in Sunday's $245,000 Go for Wand Handicap (gr. I) before a crowd of 51,982 at Saratoga Race Course.
Prominent Thoroughbred owner Gary Tanaka and business partner Alberto Vilar pleaded not guilty to wire fraud and other charges added to a new federal indictment alleging the pair defrauded customers of millions of dollars through their company, Amerindo Investment Advisors, Inc.
The top three finishers in Saturday's Jim Dandy (gr. II) at Saratoga are all expected to return in a month's time for the track's signature race, the $1 million Travers (gr. I).
The undefeated filly Divine Proportions ran her winning streak to nine Sunday with a comfortable two-length win in the Prix d'Astarte (Fr-I) on the one-mile straight at Deauville.
Eleanor M. Casey, matriarch of one of West Virginia's most successful racing families, died July 28 after an accident at Charles Town racetrack.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Albarado Fractures Ankle, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Irad Ortiz Jr. Wins Aqueduct Riding Title
- Dolphus Outruns Quality Field at Aqueduct
- Pricey Filly Tops OBS Pinhook Prospects
- J Boys Echo Breezes Five Furlongs at Churchill
- Reach the World Euthanized After Training Injury
- Party Boat Upsets Fifty Five in Memories of Silver
- Southern Ring Speeds to Whimsical Victory
- Imperative Repeats in Charles Town Classic