One for Rose, Sid Attard's million-dollar baby, is back and, according to the veteran trainer's assistant conditioner, Canada's two-time champion older mare still has plenty of fight left in her.
Hall of Fame jockey Pat Day's return to competition following hip surgery will be delayed for a few more days.
Championship contenders Sur La Tete and McDynamo, second and third, respectively, in the Royal Chase (NSA-I) three weeks ago, headline Saturday's $150,000 Iroquois Steeplechase (NSA-I) at Nashville, Tenn.
Successful Appeal, the leading freshman sire of 2004 and sire of Kentucky Derby (gr. I) second-place finisher Closing Argument, will not cover any more mares this breeding season, John T.L. Jones III of Walmac Farm said in a release today.
Jockeys Edgar Prado and David Flores have picked up mounts in the May 21 Preakness Stakes (gr. I) at Pimlico Race Course. Prado gets the call aboard High Limit and Flores will ride Greeley's Galaxy.
Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino has suspended live racing until May 19 so officials can address concerns by jockeys about the condition of the racing surface.
My Turbulent Miss died May 13 at Our Mims Retirement Haven. Farm owner Jeanne Mirabito said she found the mare in one of the farm's paddocks. The mare was 29 and will be buried at the farm.
Dubleo, one of the top 2-year-old grass runners of 2004, will enter stud at Vinery Australia in Scone.
Wando, a Canadian Triple Crown winner for breeder/owner Gustav Schickedanz, was retired after suffering a slight tear in his left hind suspensory during the May 4 Westchester Handicap (gr. III).
James Lewis Jr., who raced grade I winner Mecke, died May 10 of heart and kidney failure, eight days after the death of his wife, Alice, because of kidney failure.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Mo Don't Know Named Ohio Horse of the Year