Gimmeawink earned his first stakes win and fourth victory in seven career starts, taking Saturday's $50,000 Miracle Wood Stakes at Laurel Park. The 3-year-old son of Elusive Quality completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:43.07 to notch his first win in a two-turn race.
Boston Park led from wire to wire and beat Grey Comet by a length in Saturday's 24th running of the $81,350 Whirlaway Stakes for 3-year-olds at Aqueduct.
Got Koko rallied from just off the pace to win Saturday's $200,000 La Canada Stakes (gr. II) by three-quarters of a length over favored Sightseek. Under Alex Solis, Got Koko completed the 1 1/8 miles in 1:48.41 on a fast track to become the third horse to sweep the three-race La Canada series.
On Saturday, Great State Challenge winner Crackup worked for the first time since bleeding badly while finishing fourth in the Jan. 18 Santa Catalina Stakes (gr. II), logging a half-mile in :48 1/5. Trainer Rafael Becerra is considering the El Camino Real Derby for his next start.
San Dare came from last at the quarter pole to win by 2 1/4 lengths in the $100,000 The Very One Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the grass at Gulfstream Park on Saturday. In the co-featured $100,000 Sabin Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the main track, favored Allamerican Bertie won easily by 5 1/4 lengths.
This is for all fellow worshippers of those two golden idols pointing to the heavens from atop the Churchill Downs grandstand. Next Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes kicks off Churchill's popular Road to the Roses Fantasy Challenge. And it is indeed a fantasy.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- As Borell Released, Cruelty Laws Questioned
- Top Caribbean Race to Be Held at Gulfstream
- The Paralyzed Jockey Who's Still in the Race
- Wake Forest Heads United Nations
- Tuttipaesi Chases Graded Repeat
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Proposed Changes in PA-Bred Fund Questioned