Gimmeawink earned his first stakes win and fourth victory in seven career starts, taking Saturday's $50,000 Miracle Wood Stakes at Laurel Park. The 3-year-old son of Elusive Quality completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:43.07 to notch his first win in a two-turn race.
Boston Park led from wire to wire and beat Grey Comet by a length in Saturday's 24th running of the $81,350 Whirlaway Stakes for 3-year-olds at Aqueduct.
Got Koko rallied from just off the pace to win Saturday's $200,000 La Canada Stakes (gr. II) by three-quarters of a length over favored Sightseek. Under Alex Solis, Got Koko completed the 1 1/8 miles in 1:48.41 on a fast track to become the third horse to sweep the three-race La Canada series.
On Saturday, Great State Challenge winner Crackup worked for the first time since bleeding badly while finishing fourth in the Jan. 18 Santa Catalina Stakes (gr. II), logging a half-mile in :48 1/5. Trainer Rafael Becerra is considering the El Camino Real Derby for his next start.
San Dare came from last at the quarter pole to win by 2 1/4 lengths in the $100,000 The Very One Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares on the grass at Gulfstream Park on Saturday. In the co-featured $100,000 Sabin Handicap (gr. III) for fillies and mares on the main track, favored Allamerican Bertie won easily by 5 1/4 lengths.
This is for all fellow worshippers of those two golden idols pointing to the heavens from atop the Churchill Downs grandstand. Next Saturday's Fountain of Youth Stakes kicks off Churchill's popular Road to the Roses Fantasy Challenge. And it is indeed a fantasy.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Stronach Group Supports Bill to Bring in USADA
- Medaglia d'Oro Colt New OBS Sale Topper
- Distorted Humor Filly Brings $575,000 at OBS
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Derby, Oaks Notes, from Churchill Downs, April 25
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017