Trainer Bobby Frankel notched another stakes win Sunday when Inesperado closed from the back of the pack to win in the $182,600 Cinema Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Hollywood Park. Under Kent Desormeaux, the French-bred son of Zayyani completed the 1 1/8 miles in 1:47.63 on the firm turf.
Mike's Wildcat beat Beautiful Treasure by eight lengths Sunday to win the $109,700 Astoria Stakes for two-year-old fillies at Belmont Park. Under Jose Santos, Mike's Wildcat ran away from her seven rivals to the victory.
Trainers unhappy with soaring workers' compensation insurance costs refused to enter any horses for the July 3 races at Hollywood Park following a 90-minute meeting with Southern California racing association officials June 29.
Wide Range, a 4-year-old daughter of Spectrum, brought the top price of 105,000 euros ($104,171) at the Goffs Ireland inaugural international select sale of horses in training on Saturday.
Robert F. "Bob" Carey, Jr., assistant to the president of Hawthorne Racecourse, died Saturday from injuries sustained in a fall last November.
Ange Gabriel, a colt who until now, had only won in listed company, upset favored filly Aquarelliste and ran away with a two-length win in Sunday's Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud.
Hold That Tiger, a half-brother to Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Editor's Note, won Sunday's Anheuser Busch Railway Stakes (Ire-III) at The Curragh.
Robert F. Carey Jr., who served as assistant to the president at Hawthorne, died after a long battle from injuries that occurred in a fall last November.
Graded stakes winner Western Echo was represented by his first winner when Harry and Tom Meyerhoff's homebred Echo Lady won June 28 at Colonial Downs.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal for Circumference is a Filly
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Recalling World's Most Lucrative Races