Jockey James Lopez suffered a broken left hand during a spill during the fifth race at Churchill Downs Saturday.
Mrs. Barton D. Heller and William J. Morey Jr.'s Mellow Fellow closed for a 1 1/2-length victory in Saturday's $198,750 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint Handicap (gr. III) to notch his sixth consecutive win. The 7-year-old gelding completed the six furlongs in 1:08.35 on the fast track.
Wiseman's Ferry set a fast pace, then safely held off the late charge of California Derby winner Tracemark to win the $500,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) by 2 3/4 lengths on Saturday at Lone Star Park.
Flying Dash rallied along the inside to win Saturday's $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) on a rain-softened turf course at Hawthorne, giving jockey Victor Espinoza his second derby win in as many weekends.
Nonsuch Bay raced to her third victory in five starts, edging Wopping by a nose Saturday in the $200,000 Nassau County Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies at Aqueduct.
Michael Tabor's Left Bank pressed the early pace then inched clear to win Saturday's $105,900 Bold Ruler Handicap (gr. III) at Belmont Park. Just after crossing the finish line Left Bank ducked, unseating jockey John Velazquez.
Sunday Break, who failed to make it into the Kentucky Derby due to insufficient graded earnings, breezed seven furlongs in 1:28 at Belmont Park Saturday.
Godolphin's Grandera made amends for a fifth-place finish in the Queen Elizabeth II Cup (HK-I) last month at Sha Tin with a win in the Singapore Airlines International Cup at Kranji Racecourse on Saturday.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night