Jockey James Lopez suffered a broken left hand during a spill during the fifth race at Churchill Downs Saturday.
Mrs. Barton D. Heller and William J. Morey Jr.'s Mellow Fellow closed for a 1 1/2-length victory in Saturday's $198,750 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint Handicap (gr. III) to notch his sixth consecutive win. The 7-year-old gelding completed the six furlongs in 1:08.35 on the fast track.
Wiseman's Ferry set a fast pace, then safely held off the late charge of California Derby winner Tracemark to win the $500,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) by 2 3/4 lengths on Saturday at Lone Star Park.
Flying Dash rallied along the inside to win Saturday's $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) on a rain-softened turf course at Hawthorne, giving jockey Victor Espinoza his second derby win in as many weekends.
Nonsuch Bay raced to her third victory in five starts, edging Wopping by a nose Saturday in the $200,000 Nassau County Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies at Aqueduct.
Michael Tabor's Left Bank pressed the early pace then inched clear to win Saturday's $105,900 Bold Ruler Handicap (gr. III) at Belmont Park. Just after crossing the finish line Left Bank ducked, unseating jockey John Velazquez.
Sunday Break, who failed to make it into the Kentucky Derby due to insufficient graded earnings, breezed seven furlongs in 1:28 at Belmont Park Saturday.
Godolphin's Grandera made amends for a fifth-place finish in the Queen Elizabeth II Cup (HK-I) last month at Sha Tin with a win in the Singapore Airlines International Cup at Kranji Racecourse on Saturday.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- As Borell Released, Cruelty Laws Questioned
- Top Caribbean Race to Be Held at Gulfstream
- Melmich Victorious in Dominion Day
- Wake Forest Heads United Nations
- The Paralyzed Jockey Who's Still in the Race
- Globetrotting Tepin Preps for Saratoga Ship
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Jones Among Five for 2016 Texas HOF Class