A record $577,889 was wagered into pool one of the pari-mutuel Kentucky Derby future wager offered this weekend, with the mutuel field emerging as the first-round favorite for the fourth straight year.
Another eagle has landed. A golden eagle, that is. Once a national star on the national breeding and racing scene, the Golden Eagle Farm of John and Betty Mabee has played a quieter role in recent months, stepping back from the spotlight they once dominated with headliners like General Challenge, Excellent Meeting, Beautiful Melody, and the inimitable Best Pal.
Astra returns Monday to make her first start since August in Santa Anita's $150,000 Buena Vista Handicap (gr. II). The two-time grade I winner will go to post as the 121-pound highweight in the one mile turf test for older fillies and mares.
It was the same old song but with a different beat. In 1995, trainer Kenny McPeek brought Tejano Run to Fair Grounds for his sophomore debut in the Risen Star Stakes. Tejano Run staggered home in fifth as the 1-2 favorite that year but went on to finish a fast-closing second to Thunder Gulch in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
Jockey Travis Dunkleberger will likely miss two more weeks of racing while recovering from a Feb. 9 spill at Aqueduct. Despite not having fully recovered, Dunkleberger rode Prized Stamp to a second-place finish in Saturday's Barbara Fritchie Handicap (gr. II) at Laurel Park.
Six Crowns, dam of champion Chief's Crown and multiple grade I winner Classic Crown, was euthanized Feb. 14 due to the infirmities of old age.
Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) runner-up Sakhee will make his 5-year-old debut Thursday at Nad al Sheba in a 1 1/4-mile race on the dirt track.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate, California Chrome Meet Again in Pegasus
- NYSGC Suspends Jockey Agent Gonzalez for 10 Years
- Trainer Chad Brown Finally Lands His Knockout
- Semper Fortis Takes Ralis' Spot in Pegasus World Cup
- Gun Runner Likely Out of Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Again Horse of the Year
- Keen Ice to Calumet Upon Retirement
- American Lion Gelding, Overdriven Filly Top OBS Works
- Beautyinthepulpit to New York's Buckridge Farm
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work