With 36 victories going into the weekend's action, Hall of Fame trainer Richard Mandella won't list 2002 among his greatest years. But as it winds down, he'll have Sunday at Santa Anita's Oak Tree meeting to make it better.
Avanzado proved he didn't need the lead to win Sunday at Belmont Park, running down fading pacesetting Sunray Spirit in the stretch to post a two-length win in the six-furlong Forest Hills Handicap (gr. II).
Take Charge Lady, Xtra Heat lead Bluegrass parade of Breeders' Cup contenders.
Overlooked by the public, Nasty Storm surprised favorites Raging Fever and Shine Again in Sunday's $150,000 Gallant Bloom Handicap (gr. II) for fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Making his first United States start, Michael Tabor and Mrs. John Magnier's Landseer may have landed a spot in the Breeders' Cup Oct. 26 by winning the $600,000 Shadwell Turf Mile (gr. IT) at Keeneland Sunday
Godolphin's Marienbard, with Frankie Dettori riding, came off the rail in the straight to win the 81st running of the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp by less than a length over French Derby champion Sulamini.
Grade I winner Larry the Legend was represented by his first winner when his daughter Kiana's Star won an allowance event at six furlongs in 1:12.27 at Turf Paradise Oct. 4.
Golden Eagle Farm stallion General Meeting, who ranks fifth among California stallions by 2002 progeny earnings, will stand for $10,000 next year.
Grade I winner Mizzen Mast, a homebred for Khalid Abdullah's Juddmonte Farms, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Juddmonte near Lexington
Stonecrest Farm's Perfect Drift, who was making his first start since the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) on June 8, took command at the head of the stretch and held off the fast-closing Easyfromthegitgo to win the eighth running of the $400,000 Indiana Derby (gr. III) by 3/4 of a length at Hoosier Park Saturday.
News By Date
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot